What's in a name?

My photo
London, United Kingdom
I speak, I listen, I read, I write, I act, I play, I debate, I discuss, I fool, I smile and I sulk.

Sunday 18 October 2009

Theatre Review: Vanya

Vanya, The Gate Theatre (London), 24/09/09

I hate Chekhov. Well, that's unfair, I don't hate Chekhov, I hate what people tend to do with Chekhov. People forget that he writes about the tragedy of existence, but while we exist, we laugh. There are funny moments in every play he wrote - especially the comedies - but people are too keen to up the ante on the misery. Misery's great, but only when portrayed in sharp contrast to those times when we laugh at our own misery, or when we remember how good thngs used to be. That's what Chekhov writes, but very rarely is it ever even acknowledged.

I hadn't read or seen a production of Uncle Vanya before going to see this production, a pared-down adaptation written by Sam Holcroft. I did have a vague idea of the story, but it really didn't matter.

The four cast members were simply perfect. Simon Wilson made for an impressive Doctor Astrov. One felt sorry for Susie Trayling's Yelena, struggling between duty and desire. Fiona Button as Sonya was so endearing, one found oneself smiling and cooing at her naivety, rather than tutting and rolling one's eyes; but it was Robert Goodale's Vanya who stole the show. A mixture of misery and mirth, as explained above, was stirred up by Goodale's doe eyes and lilting voice. His onstage presence with Button was totally enthralling, and the pair of them made for the most depressingly beautiful family. In a play about failure, none were so successful at it as Vanya and Sonya.

Apart from the brilliant acting, I saw the most ingenious use of a small stage employed in this production. A rotating crate was used as shed, house interior, garden and hall. Around it, the space was covered in large packing material and tape, giving the impression these characters and their world had been preserved ever since Chekhov's own time.

As well as getting to see a good fringe show for cheap, we were invited to a question and answer session with the cast and director Natalie Abrahami, during which we had the opportunity to congratulate the crew and discover a few secrets of the production process and the theatre. Not far from Notting Hill Gate tube station, the Gate Theatre is definitely in the book for venues to return to.

6 comments:

Eduardo Guize said...

Hmm... This brings memories of a theater class I had at the Complutense with a professor that would just read her book in class, incredibly fast... At least I discovered Chekhov, Ionesco and Co.

TheatreMad87 said...

Chekhov and Ionesco are not very similar, but I thought you studied in CC. Información, anyway?!

Eduardo Guize said...

That woman's lessons were confusing but I know Chekhov and Ionesco are not very similar, sir... And didn't you know that CC. Informacion is all about scattered insights in general culture, like they were training you for Who wants to be a millionaire? ;D

TheatreMad87 said...

Ah, well I was a Filologías boy, so although I frequently went past the horrible building, I only went inside once, when I was looking for a book for a cinema essay.

Why aren't you rolling in money, then?

Eduardo Guize said...

Because I'm more spiritual than that...

'horrible building'? it's called brutalism!

TheatreMad87 said...

Excuses, excuses: if I had to go into that place every day, I'd want to be ensured a million euros when I graduate! It's called compensation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...