What's in a name?

My photo
London, United Kingdom
I speak, I listen, I read, I write, I act, I play, I debate, I discuss, I fool, I smile and I sulk.

Monday 5 July 2010

In Their Own Words

One of the problems with small theatres like the Donmar and the Almeida [is that] they’re wonderful places to work, icons of fashionabilty and all that, but it’s very exclusive. You can’t get in. Plus these places only function if we actors get low wages. The tragedy is that there’s no ticket equivalent of what there was when I was young. I went to see Olivier in The Merchant of Venice for 15 pence... Anyone who says the seat prices don’t make a difference should go to one of the theatres where they have a cheap night on a Monday. The places are heaving. It’s interesting that Olivier, a conservative figure in many ways, was absolutely supportive of the notion that subsidy subsidised seat prices. That’s gone now. Today it’s all about charging the market rate. The market rate cuts people off from the experience. 

Roger Allam, British Actor, born 1953

3 comments:

Eduardo Guize said...

sooooooooo true

Curious said...

As a theatre goer I would selfishly agree, but as a taxpayer I would have to wonder why I should subsidize tickets for people to see The Merchant of Venice when those same people will quite easily find the money to see Justin Beiber or Miss Jackson themselves.

TheatreMad87 said...

Curious - because those people are under the misguided impression that Justin Beiber or Jackson will be more value for money. Lower the prices, let their curiosity and the magic of live theatre take over, and you'll soon see how the trends change.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...