What's in a name?

My photo
London, United Kingdom
I speak, I listen, I read, I write, I act, I play, I debate, I discuss, I fool, I smile and I sulk.

Monday 19 July 2010

What Do You Mean You Haven't Seen...?!

Glengarry Glen Ross
(1992; Dir: James Foley; Screenplay: David Mamet)

In my humble opinion, there are very few film adaptations which supercede the original texts. Although I have never read or seen the original stage play by David Mamet, I have it on good authority that the 1992 film version is made margianlly better by the exceptional performance of Alec Baldwin in a scene written expressly for him. More about that later.

Speaking as both an actor and an audience member, there is something very thrilling about ensemble casting. Not only does it give equal dramatic weight and power to every cast member, but the work itself often suits the issues dealt with great skill and efficacy. It doesn't necessarily have to have a large cast, like Pulp Fiction; it doesn't necessarily have to deal with hugely important political and social issues, like Twelve Angry Men.What it does need to do, though, is capture its audience by having a tightly bound cast with not a single weak link. A tall order for any dramatic work, certainly, but when it works, boy does it work.

The cast of Glengarry Glen Ross is spectacular, not least because of the star names: Jack Lemmon, Al Pacino, Ed Harris, Alan Arkin, Kevin Spacey, Alec Baldwin and Jonathan Pryce. Nevertheless, the celebrity factor does not come into play, merely because, as the story makes so tragically clear, no one man is greater than the company.

As the desperate characters are placed into a ruthless competition by their employers, a variety of underhand and dishonest methods are shown to be the tricks of the real estate salesman's trade. The fear of losing one's livelihood is expressed in suitably macho terms, the strong language making the film notable for being one of the most colourful out there. This office is definitely NSFW.

Below is the scene which almost won Baldwin an Oscar. Watch, enjoy, and if you haven't alread seen it, get yourself a copy of Glengarry Glen Ross.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...