What's in a name?

My photo
London, United Kingdom
I speak, I listen, I read, I write, I act, I play, I debate, I discuss, I fool, I smile and I sulk.

Tuesday 14 December 2010

In Their Own Words

Many people, including some working actors, [...] may admire the fact that an actor has a trained voice and body, but they believe that any further training can come only from actually performing before an audience. I find this akin to the sink-or-swim method of introducing a child to water. Children do drown and not all actors develop by their mere physical presence on stage. A talented young pianist, skilful at improvisation or playing by ear, might be a temporary sensation in a night club or on television, but he knows better than to attempt a Beethoven piano concerto. The pianist’s fingers just won’t make it. A pop singer with an untrained voice may have a similar success, but not with a Bach cantata. The singer would rip his vocal chords. An untrained dancer has no hope of performing in Giselle. The dancer would tear tendons. In their attempt the will also ruin the concerto, the cantata, and Giselle because, if they eventually are ready, they will only remember their early mistakes. But a young actor will unthinkingly plunge into Hamlet if he has a chance. He must learn that, until he’s ready, he is doing the same destructive thing to himself and the role.

Uta Hagen, German-American Actress, Director and Coach, 1919 – 2004

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...