What's in a name?

My photo
London, United Kingdom
I speak, I listen, I read, I write, I act, I play, I debate, I discuss, I fool, I smile and I sulk.

Friday 25 December 2009

Concert Review: Ojos de Brujo

Ojos de Brujo, Brighton Dome, 29/11/09

What better way to end my birthday week than with a bit of live music from one of my favourite Spanish groups. I first heard Ojos de Brujo when I was 17; still studying intermediate Spanish, and watching TVE, the only Spanish international TV station, courtesy of my grandmother’s digital satellite box. Every Sunday, a music show similar to Top of the Pops would come on, and since I figured that learning the lyrics to songs would help me improve my level, as well as find some new music to listen to, I became a regular viewer. Thanks to that programme, I discovered Julieta Venegas, Alejandro Sanz, Soraya Arnelas, Jarabe de Palo and quite a few others. Not all of them are the crème de la crème of musical arts, but it was all part of a vital education in being able to understand not just Spanish, but the way that native speakers would manipulate their language to create (mostly) interesting lyrics. This is why I was fascinated by Sultanas de merkaillo, which was the first song by Ojos de Brujo I ever heard, and which still remains my favourite.

Put simply, the show was excellent. A classic blend of hits and material from the group's latest album. A particular highlight was the use of a flamenquera, that is, a female flamenco dancer who appeared throughout the concert, each time in a different costume. The atmosphere was vibrant and eclectic, just like Ojos de Brujo's own music. The audience was made up of people of all nationalities, though the majority of people were, unsurprisingly, Spanish: oh, it took me back!

Anyway, the point is I've loved Ojos de Brujo for years, and seeing them live in concert was just as much fun as I had hoped it would be. Now, here are some photos and for you to look at: -



 

 

 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...