What's in a name?

My photo
London, United Kingdom
I speak, I listen, I read, I write, I act, I play, I debate, I discuss, I fool, I smile and I sulk.

Friday 25 December 2009

Concert Review: The Pet Shop Boys

The Pet Shop Boys, O2 Arena (London), 21/12/09

Before I begin, you ought to understand two things: 1) My overwhelming bias in favour of the Pet Shop Boys; and 2) How I came to attend the final show of Pandemonium, their latest tour.

My Friend (in a text message): Hello. What are your thoughts on the Pet Shop boys? ASAP

Me (in the same format): I think they're brilliant. Absolutely fantastic. Why?

My Friend: Question two. Are you free tomorrow evening? 5ish onwards.


Me: If this is going where I think it is going, then I can MAKE myself free! In London in the morning, but can return anytime...

My Friend: How about you stay in London, and then come and see them at the O2. With me. For Free.

Me: Err... YES!

And that's how I came to be standing in the pit of the arena, staring at Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe do their amazing thing for two glorious hours, a few days before Christmas.

Those boys have still got it. They know how to put on a show. Everything was perfectly crafted in order to provide a sensory overload which was just on the right side of bewildering. Between the music, the distinctive personas of the Boys, the projections and lighting, and the choreography in certain songs, the audience were never allowed to even take their eyes away.


All the classic hits were played, some with modern twists. I particularly liked the Soviet motif used in the video to Go West (itself a song originally by The Village People about the relative liberal West Coast of America, particularly San Francisco) being updated to that of a Chinese theme, with two dancers even mocking the planned-to-perfection Olympic opening and closing ceremonies in Beijing. Neil and Chris's popular double-act was kept in place, the latter remaining silent throughout the entire concert. The costumes used for the performers were funny, interesting and innovative, while the staging was nothing short of impressively resourceful: I've never seen so many white boxes used so effectively. At certain points they were projection screens - particularly touching when Dusty Springfield's section of the original video was projected fully at the back of the stage in a poingant homage during the song What have I Done to Deserve This - and at other points they were props; or even stacked upon each other to become part of the stage.

The Boys also gave a nod to Coldplay by covering Viva La Vida in such a way as to make me seriously consider whether Coldplay had actually covered The Pet Shop Boys. Finally, the second (yes, second) encore was a rendition of It Doesn't Often Snow at Christmas, their latest single, accompanied by - wait for it - dancing Christmas trees! I kid you not: just look at the photo below if you don't believe me.

With such great, intelligent and catchy songs and a show so entertaining - both superficially as well as intelectually - how could one not love The Pet Shop Boys?


Dancing Christmas Trees!

2 comments:

KAOS said...

I'm so jealous I might never speak to you again.

TheatreMad87 said...

Jealousy is no reason to never speak to me again - just focus on the fact that I'm rubbing your face in it...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...